If you’ve been looking to buy a house, it’s easy to get discouraged. With our local real estate market still the hottest in the country, a lot of buyers have become frustrated after losing out to multiple offers and all-cash sales. While some buyers are considering waiting out the market, here is why that’s not a wise move.
1. Historically, this time of the year is the best time to buy a home.
The fourth quarter of the year has always seen the lowest demand for home sales. Kids are back in school. The holiday season is gearing up. It’s just not the time of year when people want to uproot their lives and move into a new home. That all changes in a few months. The market traditionally experiences the highest demand and the lowest inventory of the year between January and May. Your best bet is to make an offer now.
2. Home prices are expected to increase next year.
A booming economy, rising population, and an influx of highly-paid workers are all expected to sustain the strong demand for housing through 2018. While the sharp home price increases of the past few years are expected to moderate, Windermere Chief Economist Matthew Gardner predicts that home prices will increase by 9 percent next year.
3. Interest rates are predicted to rise.
Waiting means you’ll get less house for your money. It’s all about the One in Ten Rule. As Matthew Gardner explains, for every 1 percent increase in mortgage rates your buying power decreases by 10 percent. Even if home prices are flat a year from now (which is not expected), an increase in interest rates means you’ll have to borrow more money to buy the same house.
With home valuations at high levels today, buyers should consider three things before they purchase a home: Can I afford the monthly payments, do I like the location, and am I planning to live in the home for at least five years?
If you decide to move forward, your real estate agent can make the difference between winning the deal or not.
Here’s what sets Windermere Real Estate brokers apart:
- We can position your offer to have the greatest appeal to the seller (and sometimes that’s not just a higher price).
- We receive extensive training on how to create the most competitive offer and negotiate successfully in a multiple-offer situation.
- Other agents are more confident in completing a transaction with an agent from Windermere than they are with any other real estate company.
Contact us to get started on your home search today!